Minestrone Soup


I've been thinking lately about trying out a different genre to the food I experience.  Some of it has to do with the desire of weight loss, some with the desire to eat better and include more fresh ingredients.  I was thinking of a plant based diet.  Not going all out and cutting out everything but that, because lets face it, I love meat and cheese and carbs.  But at least cooking one of these type meals a week.  Now most all plant based diets are a little to rigid for me.  I need more of a vegan/vegetarian diet.  Needless to say, I started researching cook books.  Ladies and Gents, I do believe I have found my ultimate cook book.  If you are offended by foul language, by all means, DO NOT buy this book.  It happens to be free on amazon prime for those interested.  It's called Thug Kitchen: Eat Like You Give a F&%$.  These guys speak my language, literally.  So I start looking through these recipes and find a couple that I like.  Like all recipes, I am curious if they are really as good as they sound/look on the beautifully photographed pictures.  I decided to try one that I was at least familiar with all the ingredients, and IT DID NOT DISAPPOINT.  It is amazing and flavorful and just warms the soul.  This will forever be a winter/fall/I have a cold Soup.  Perks! It's easy too!

I have edited the recipe for G rated audiences :)

Warm The F&%$ Up Minestrone
(Via Thug Kitchen)

Ingredients:
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 onion, chopped
2 carrots, sliced into half moons (Cut the carrot in half lengthwise and then chop; half moons)
1 large potato or turnip, cut into dice sized pieces (lets be honest, I used a potato)
2 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary
3 cloves of garlic, minced
pinch of red pepper flakes (mine maaaay have been more than a pinch)
1 bay leaf
1 can (14.5 oz) low salt diced tomatoes
1/2 cup dried black lentils (I could only find green ones, so I used those)
7 cups vegetable broth (I ended up using more because my "simmer" was more of a boil. Oops!)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup small pasta shapes like shells or stars (I used ditalini)
5 cups of shredded cabbage or kale
2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
Juice of half a lemon
1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
1/4 cup minced fresh basil
ground pepper

1. Grab a large soup pot and heat the olive oil over medium heat.  Add the onion, carrots, celery and saute until the onion starts to look golden brown, 3-5 minutes
2. Add the potato rosemary, garlic, pepper flakes, and bay leaf. Cook for another 30 seconds to get the garlic going.
3. Add the diced tomatoes and lentils and give it another 30 seconds.
4. Pour in all the broth and let it come to a simmer.  Reduce the heat and let that go at a gentle pace until the lentils are almost cooked but the potato is tender (about 15 minutes).
5. Add the salt, pasta, and cabbage (if you kale, don't add it yet) and keep the pot gently simmering until the pasta is cooked all the way (5-10 minutes).
6. If using kale, fold it into the pot after the pasta is all cooked and let that simmer for 2 more minutes.
7. Add the vinegar and lemon juice, stir well, and remove from the heat.
8. Fold in the parsley and basil and let the pot sit for a minute or two.
9. Pull out the bay leaf and serve right away!

We served it with toasted sliced French loaf.  It was so amazing.  I, of course, froze some in the freezer! Next time, I'll take a more appealing picture, but I just snapped this real quick before I DEVOURED it :)

Comments

Popular Posts