Dining Room Table Refinish

 
Aaron and I inherited this table a few years ago from his sister and her husband. We needed a kitchen table BAD and although it was a little scratched up, we were very thankful for it!  I tried to refinish it a few years ago, but did not do it correctly.  I didn't put any finish on it, and did not wait long enough to let the paint dry before using it, and while picking up a centerpiece, I took some paint with it.  Now that we have a pretty house, I wanted to make the table pretty again!
So the first step was to strip off the old paint and original finish.  This was a LONG process and my arms were soooo sore the next few days!
After all the finish was off, I washed the table off with soap and water and left it outside to dry!
I put a coat of primer on the table to make the paint stick.
I then put a total of 3 coats of paint on the table.  I waited 30 minutes between each coat.
Finally, I used polyurethane from Minwax.  I had a can of it from my bathroom project about a year back, and when I was shopping for supplies, I came across some polyurethane in a spray can.
So, it kinda worked.  I didn't feel like there was an even enough coat on the table.  I sucked it up and painted a coat on from the can.
I let the table dry for a total of 2 days. The can says 24 hours, but I wanted to be extra sure!
I put the legs back on it, and took a trip to Pier One to dress it up!  It took a few days, but the table looks so much better!
 
 


Comments

Popular Posts