Slow Cooker Pot Roast


Pot Roast is one of those things where I just DO.  I don't use a recipe except for what ingredients I use.  I also make a gravy that I just DO and don't follow a recipe.  It is good, so I will guestimate as much as I can to tell you how I make my pot roast and gravy.

Ingredients:

1 pound of medium red potatoes, quartered
1 cup fresh baby carrots (I love carrots, so I pour them in enough to make everything fit.)
Boneless beef chuck roast 3-4 pounds
Extra virgin Olive Oil
Dried Rosemary (no idea how much, super helpful, I know)
Dried Thyme
Garlic salt
Ground Black Pepper
Onion, chopped
Beef broth (I use two 32 oz cartons)
2 tablespoons of butter
1/8 cup of flour (totally guessing)

Directions:
1. Quarter your potatoes and fit them in a crock pot.  Place your chopped onion in there too.  I then pour in a good layer of carrots. (I love carrots)
2. Take the beef roast and rub it down with extra virgin olive oil.  Use a brush or hands or whatever you got to coat on all sides with a little extra virgin olive oil.
3.  This is where a lot of guestimating comes in.  On each side as to coat all sides, sprinkle the dried rosemary, thyme, garlic salt, and black pepper.  If you don't have garlic salt, feel free to use garlic powder and salt.  I'm always afraid to over salt, so most of the time I use garlic powder and then salt.
4. Place your beautifully seasoned beef in the crock pot over the veggies.
5. Pour in the beef broth until the meat is covered.
6. Cover and turn that puppy on low for about 7 hours.

Your house will smell amazing for the next day. You're welcome.

Now to make the gravy is also a guestimate. (Sorry guys!)  Next time I make this, I'll try to make a video and post it.

Gravy Directions:
1. Take out about 2 cups of the broth from the crock pot.  It's always good if you get some of the herbs and such in there.
2. Melt the butter in a skillet or sauce pan.
3. Once the butter is melted, toss in the flour and begin to whisk.  Be careful guys, it may be more than a 1/8 cup.   You want enough flour to completely soak up the butter.  You are basically starting a roux.  Slowly add the broth.  You want to add it in little by little and continue to whisk constantly to make it smooth and consistent.
4. Keep adding it until you get the consistency of the gravy that you want.  Taste it and add salt/pepper as needed.



My husband has always eaten this dish with white rice and I've always eaten it with bread.  Whatever carb you use, start with that as your base.  Pour on some beef, veggies, broth, etc.  Top with gravy and voila!

Comments

Popular Posts